Case studies are dismantled at key industry conferences, they are decided at the largest student championships, so even there the ninth-graders run away from the control and tests in order to fight with the team of desperate friends for winning the case-competition. Online essay writing services recruited special writers for these work. You have not yet absorbed a case-wave? In this article we will explain why it is necessary to get into it, and tell you where to start.
What are case studies?
A case is a description of a specific situation or event in any sphere: social, economic, medical, etc. As a rule, the case contains not just a description, but also a certain problem or contradiction and is based on real facts. Accordingly, to solve the case – this means to analyze the proposed situation and find the optimal solution. The doctor decides the cases each time he puts the patient’s diagnosis and prescribes treatment. The lawyer decides the case, figuring in the twists and turns of the case and offering the client the best solution. The manager decides the cases at all stages of the business process: which product to launch, where to sell it, how to attract buyers, which suppliers and partners to choose.
More recently, the method of solving cases has become widespread in education, becoming one of the most effective learning technologies. What are the advantages of the case-study method in comparison with traditional teaching methods? Let’s name three most important:
- Practical orientation. Case-method allows you to apply theoretical knowledge to solve practical problems. This approach compensates exclusively for academic education and gives a broader view of business and processes than lectures in the university or practice in a narrow area of work.
- Interactive format. Case-method provides more effective mastering of the material due to high emotional involvement and active participation of trainees. Participants are immersed in the situation with the head: the case has a protagonist, in the place of which the team puts itself and solves the problem from his face. The emphasis in training is not on mastering ready-made knowledge, but on its development.
- Specific skills. Case-method allows to improve “soft skills”, which are not taught at the university, but which are extremely necessary in a real working process.
Joint analysis of life situations is a universal way of learning; therefore, analogues of case solutions can be found even in antiquity. Spartan youths discussed with their mentors the situations that arise on the battlefield, and the discussion of “cases” with their students was a favorite method of Socrates.
In the modern form, the case method originated in the 1870s at the Harvard Law School, and in business training has been established since the 1920s. The teachers of the first MBA programs were scientists, not businessmen, and they were faced with the fact that it was impossible to teach students to conduct business solely through lectures and textbooks. An alternative to textbooks were interviews with leading entrepreneurs and top managers of companies and detailed reports written on their basis on how they solved this or that situation, as well as factors affecting their activities. Since then, analysis of business situations has become an important element in the training of future managers in business schools. Teachers at the Harvard Business School actively contributed to its dissemination, publishing books, teaching aids, case studies and conducting seminars for teachers. Now the decision of cases as a method of training is used in all leading business schools, universities and corporations. Professor HBS Chris Christensen (Chris Christensen) has written hundreds of cases and is considered the champion of learning the case-method:
Distinctive features of the case method
The solution of cases consists of several steps:
1) study of the proposed situation (case);
2) the collection and analysis of missing information;
3) discussing possible solutions to the problem;
4) working out the best solution.
It would seem that everything is simple. In any case, if you do not indicate the main purpose of this work, you may ask the online essay writer services and they will tell you about if everything. In fact, there are several pitfalls that can puzzle the participants, the first time dealing with cases.
First, the case does not have the right answer. The optimal solution can be one (it cannot always be implemented in a real situation), but there are several effective solutions.
Secondly, the introductory cases may contradict each other or change constantly. The case is based on real facts and imitates the real life situation, and in life more than once have to face such problems.
Thirdly, as a rule, cases are solved in conditions of limited time. In business, there is rarely an opportunity to find out all the details and have a complete picture before your eyes.